I had a long post planned for this week’s One Room Challenge update, but a nasty little virus visited me on Wednesday morning (and not a respiratory one…), and resigned me to the fetal position for the vast majority of the day. I’m almost horizontal as I write this, while I have a brief break in the action. Bear with me here. And please forgive the lack of beautiful photography.
Here are the major themes – mostly a continuation from those of Week 3…
After loads of prep work last week and early this, and a complete color matching fail between the woodwork paint (Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac) and the wall paint (Benjamin Moore Aura), the colors are now in check and the first coat of the Hollandlac is up. The room is basically hermetically sealed right now with a negative air machine directing the fumes outside, so unfortunately I can’t see it, nor can I photograph it. I should have put my Dropcam in there! The built-in shelves are being sprayed in the shop this afternoon. By the end of this week, everything, with the exception of the ceiling, will be 100% painted and (hopefully) looking gorgeous…in the most masculine way, of course.
A plasterer was sent down from the heavens straight into the welcoming embrace of the Manbrary. He will begin his work, repairing cracks and sagging in the ceiling, and restoring parts of the decorative plaster, on Tuesday of next week, and finish on Thursday. The plaster will dry overnight, and the ceiling will be painted on Friday morning – that’s 11/6 for those keeping track.
I’m sneaking in the install of the Roman shades on Monday the 2nd, since the paint will be cured by then and there won’t be any work happening that day. I did get a sneak peek of them at the workroom last week – I’m so pleased with how they look! Even on the reverse side with straight pins :).
The cut-and-bound rug was originally scheduled to be installed this morning. When I called Tuesday to reschedule, they said late November was the next available date. Oy. Everyone wants their carpet installed by Thanksgiving, of course. After some considerable begging and bargaining, I managed to score an install for that same Friday 11/6, right after the ceiling is painted. The tape and paper will literally be removed right before they arrive.
Which is the same day I had planned to have my electrician come to install the new light fixture – if it arrives by then. Big if, actually. I’m going to schedule him for Monday 11/9, which is the absolute latest it could go in. My photo shoot is Tuesday 11/10. Already cutting it close with that alone!
Most of the major pieces being added to the room are either in transit or not yet shipped. This one is truly going to be right down to the wire. Despite my best efforts. Not for nothing they call this a “challenge!” But I could have done without the virus. Moms just aren’t allowed to get sick.
Follow Project Manbrary here and on…
1. Facebook (Interiors for Families)
2. Instagram (#KRIProjectManbrary, #oneroomchallenge)
See you next week!